Monday, April 13, 2009

Something we should pay attention to.


The Associated Press
Posted : Friday Apr 10, 2009 20:27:56 EDT

CARSON CITY, Nev. — Despite strong objections from a few legislators, Nevada lawmakers have advanced a bill to restrict demonstrations near funerals of fallen soldiers.

AB1, endorsed by the Assembly Judiciary Committee on an 11-3 vote, would make it a misdemeanor to demonstrate at a funeral or memorial service with the intent to disrupt the service. Protesting at a ceremony such as a parade wouldn’t be prohibited.

A key reason for the proposed legislation is the picketing at some military funerals by Westboro Baptist Church members, who say the war in Iraq is a punishment for the nation’s tolerance of homosexuality.

“This same group protests outside of family planning clinics,” said Assemblyman William Horne, D-Las Vegas. “Why wouldn’t we exclude that as well?”

“I find it abhorrent that a white supremacy group can walk down the middle of a black neighborhood,” Horne said. “But I will defend their right to do that, despite the ugly history.”


My take:


From two different perspectives. My husband has a job in which someday I might have to deal with these people, and I also enjoy my full right to free speech. I really really think that these people are abhorrent. Disgusting. Deplorable. I hate them because of what they stand for, and I know that they are dead wrong. If there is a heaven, I dare say that when they reach for it, they will be unpleasantly surprised. I have signed petitions to keep them at least 500 feet away from a friend's funeral in Fort Campbell, but I still think they have a right to express their opinions. It is my right to go to their streets, or to their church's street and protest their ignorance. The government has no right to criminalize any form of expression that is peaceful. My best, and ultimate argument is this:



"Congress shall make no law respecting an
establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise
thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the
people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the
Government for a redress of grievances."


And not even George Bush could take that away.


-S.

No comments: