Wednesday, April 27, 2011

365

Shadow
Minnesota, American Red Cross, The Hilton, -30 degree weather, first Airplane trip alone.
I was supposed to have a companion on the trip to Mn, both of us going for volunteer training, and things of the like.  Instead my companion decided she couldn't go, so I was alone in a place I'd never been, surrounded by people I'd never met, and completely freaked out.  I decided to suck it up and make it work for me.  I got my camera out and took pictures of everything, including things that you wouldn't necessarily take a photo of while on a trip.  I love the reflection in the desk, the shadows cast by the sun, and the feeling of calm I feel when I look at it. Had I had my roommate there I wouldn't have been so freaked out about being in such a huge crowed of people, but I'm glad she flaked.  I wouldn't have learned anything, nor would I have been able to go ahead and freak out about being on a plane if she'd been there.  I now know I can figure out the huge airport, navigate that insanely pretentious  hotel, and survive the plane ride.  This means that when the idea of Alaska came up, I didn't hesitate.

No comments: