Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Idle Wednesday











We are a military family.  This means that we are not usually in the same place for very long, and we are either living in a rental house, or on post.  I can't paint, settle in, or decorate with anything that fits in a specific space.  All of our curtians must have the ability to adjust to different window sizes, and I have to buy extras in case the next house has more windows.  I have to buy furniture keeping in mind how large it is and how much it weighs (we have a weight limit for our household goods when we move) and I have to buy things that can be used in many different ways. 
Because of this, I often dream of the days when I can have color on walls, hammer nails into place that won't have to be filled in sooner rather than later, and I can do strange wall treatments like I see in the magazines.  Speaking of which, the project I did this week....I have been collecting decorating magazines for over ten years.  One was dated June 1998!! I decided that it was finally time to do what I'd always planned and cut out the good ideas and scrapbook them.  I spent three days looking through them, cutting things out, and gluing them in place.  I must have taken a pile of magazines weighing sixty pounds and reduced it to this small scrapbook.  I used every page in the book, but left a little room for growth, since I am addicted to Victoria magazine, as well as Elle Decor and several others. 
I saved things like ideas for projects, ways to reuse items,  pictures with color combos I love, directions on how to repair things, and words and quotes that inspire the feeling that I wish my retirement house to convey.
All with the hopes that one day I will be able to refer to the book, use the resources I've saved, and have a ball bringing it all to life.  In the meantime, it's a great way to escape into the future.

No comments: