Friday, September 25, 2009

A month of Recipes

One of my favorite magazines "Real Simple" did me a huge favor. Last month they listed a months worth of recipes for dinner, complete with shopping lists and in a specific order so that ingredients get used in a timely manner. I LOVE this! We tend to get into major ruts and eat our favorite recipes over and over...so we all agreed that we would be brave and try these out. Being the amateur chef, I did have to change it up and make it mine. For example, my kids won't eat olives, so we eliminated them. Also, two red peppers is too much, so I reduced that to one. Finally, my kids are big eaters, so this small plate wasn't going to be enough, so Jay made couscous with garlic and the leftover lime juice. I polled the family and the only complaint was that Miah actually wanted more fish. She at first didn't want any at all, so this is a great endorsement of the dish. We all agreed that this recipe is going into the favorites list. Tonight we are trying another one, and so on for the next four weeks, so tune in! You can visit www.realsimple.com for a ton of great recipes, and I recommend the magazine as well. There are always great tips, decorating ideas, recipes, and articles. I love them!!
Serves 4 Hands-On Time: 20m Total Time: 20m

Ingredients

  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 4 6-ounce tilapia fillets
  • kosher salt and black pepper
  • 2 red bell peppers, thinly sliced
  • 1 onion, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 cup pitted green olives
  • 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped ( I used some from my garden)
  • 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice

Directions

  1. Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Season the fish with 1⁄4 teaspoon each salt and pepper and cook until opaque throughout, 4 to 5 minutes per side.
  2. Meanwhile, heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in a second large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the peppers and onion, stirring often, until tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in the olives, parsley, lime juice, and 1⁄4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Serve with the fish.

No comments: