Friday, September 25, 2009

A Happy Marriage: A Novel


A Happy Marriage: A Novel

My husband heard a radio interview of the author one morning and had a very strong reaction to the description of the book. I purchase the title on my Kindle and spent the next couple of days wishing I hadn't. The story is well written, but starts off a little slow. Once you get into the meat of the story, you realize that this book isn't going to end well at all. The main character's wife is dying of cancer, and this is his rehashing of thirty years of life with the same woman. At one point you hate him, the next crying because of the pain he is enduring to ensure that his wife leaves her life the best way possible. I read the book in it's entirety simply because I had paid for it, but had I known how drained and sad I would feel at the conclusion of the last page, I would have saved myself the grief.
This is a great book to read if you need an excuse to purge feelings and gush tears. Don't get me wrong, the reason I had such an issue with the content of the book is that it really makes you stop and think about your own marriage. All of the ups and downs, and how you would be looking at the experience after thirty years, and at the end. Who wants to think about the end? Certainly not me! The book will make you cry, it will make you hurt, and it will make you want to get to the end just to get the hurt over with!

1 comment:

Mommy to those Special Ks said...

Thanks!!! I will file this away in my books to read list! I need to take a bunch of books with me when we travel, but I don't know if I want to cry on the plane! LOL I guess we'll have a lot of downtime when we're there though. Hmmm...