Thursday, January 14, 2010

Thursday's Thoughts

The thought of the day:
What you don't know can't hurt you
Bullshit. Anyone who believes this is lying to themselves. It is often the things that we don't know that come back to hurt us the most. What you don't know you don't have to deal with, but not dealing with something often makes it worse. And this applies to almost every aspect of life.
The reason I bring it up today is that I am soon to be looked at for promotion. A very big part of this is ensuring that my records are complete and accurate. In the course of correcting these records, I had an appointment with the civilian who is in charge of records for the entire base. My personnel departments has either failed to update my records, or updated them incorrectly for so long now that it took her almost an hour just to write down all the changes she needed to make. This is the same record that was looked at last year, the one I was told was good to go. And not only did she make the changes that I needed, but she also ensured that I understood them. What I didn't know last year hurt my chances severely. Now all I need is a lot of open slots and a little luck.

No comments: