Thursday, January 13, 2011

Wistful History



No, she's not a relative...
I have no clue who she is...
I bought a box of random things on etsy.com, and a small stack of slides were among the ephemera. I have all sorts of found photos, and I thought it would be fun to post them every once in a while. I hate the idea that someone's family photos are strewn about as if they have no meaning, so I like to safeguard them. I look at them occasionally and wonder who they were, what they did, what the world was like when they were here...
I love this slide the most. The colors are bright and striking, the wind is clearly blowing, and I wonder what she is up to.
I am currently reading THIS book, and it reminded me of my photographs, all hiding in a trunk at the end of my bed. I wish my kindle was a time machine, so that I could step into New York city in the 20's. I'd wear a fur collared coat like my grandmother's, and smoke thin cigarettes in blues clubs while sipping my bootleg whiskey. I'd store my treasures in hidden drawers in my dresser, and be a spy for the Army. I'd show up to fly on the first commercial airplane, dance the Charleston, and my hair would be in fingerwaves, cut short, and I'd dress like this:
picture from: http://www.1920s-fashions.co.uk


Women like me were looked upon so differently back then, but I know I'd still be the same person. I know, because I come from a long line of tough women. Maybe tough and independent in different ways than I am, but I've heard enough stories to know that the women on my mother's side would have been women that I would have looked up to. Back then, that independent spirit would have been a novelty, and I would have to have fought to do the things I would have wanted to do...when I daydream, I am one of the tough as nails women who fought the good fight, and stood up to the idiot men who ran the world...
More photos to come later.
What story would you give this lady? What do you think she was like?

No comments: