Monday, June 15, 2009

Life Lessons Learned


I wasn't really thinking about talking about this here...but the more I think about it, the more I get tickled. A little bit ago I was informed by a friend (I consider her a friend, mind you, I have no clue how she feels about me...) that someone I used to know was mentioning me and or my family in not the nicest way. Sure, who cares about her opinion, besides, it was all I could do to stand her in the first place, but as an FRG leader and knowledgeable veteran army wife, I never told her exactly what I thought.
This brings me to my topic. The best lesson in "Army Wife School" (and first you should learn!) is that you never want to be unnecessarily rude or nasty to another army wife...or her family. Not unless circumstances make it impossible not to. Think about it for a minute and those of you who have been my peers for a while will figure out why...Just because someone is stationed elsewhere doesn't mean that you will never see them again! While for several friends this is the best news ever...for a couple of people it's the worst. I promise you that if you are mean to someone, THAT someone will be the one that turns up at your next post. Good luck!
Case in point...last year I spotted a dread nemesis at my daughter's school. I couldn't believe my eyes at first, but there the broad was...the one that used to slobber all over Jay and call him, (retch) "Jayyyyyferd!" (retch again) Needless to say, I hated her. Also needless to say (but I will anyway) I melted into the couch of the rotunda like I was a cheese stick in the back of a mini van in summer! Thank god she didn't' see me, but I was in constant fear that she would spot me as I ran into her three more times...I was behind her in line at the "little shop" (Shoppette) and Jay spotted her husband at Wal-Mart, then again at the commissary. Thank God we moved when we did! I never really got the chance to tell her what a scuzz I thought she was (and at the time I would have) which is good, because if she had recognized me, I could have smiled at her and greeted her, then walked on...without getting arrested and/or setting a bad example for my kids. For now, I know that I'm safe from her, and a few other people I can't stand simply because we are at an MOS specific post...and even if the husband of the rude wife I mentioned first comes down here for training and she happens to come with, or whatever situation would cause them to be here...We are actually forbidden to talk to, fraternize with, or even look in the direction of any soldier who is at Gordon for the purposes of training. That works for me!
In the future.....that's another story. I'm sure that at some point I will happen across this chick at some post somewhere, and this time I won't have to be polite because of my position...which simply means that I will pretend I don't see her, and if she is a smart little girl she will do the same, and we will both be happy. Fair warning, if I have to even pretend to be nice to her, while looking her in the face, knowing she is pretending to like ME I'll throw up. I have known she despised me for a long time (not sure why? but also don't care..she's annoying!) and every time she talked to me it made me want to call her out. However...I know better. No matter how fake, annoying, ignorant, name droppy, I know it all, pretending to be a veteran of several deployments (only one under your belt, lady!) she is... at some point it will catch up to her in some way.
I know who my friends are...and I'm all full up thanks!

No comments: