Thursday, November 12, 2009

Thursday's Thoughts

Today's Thought:
Keep thy religion to thyself. -George
Carlin
Last week Stacy had a discussion about religion and it sparked a conversation at work for me. Which lead me to think even harder on the topic. This problem goes far beyond people knocking on our door, or our facebook page as the case may be. These are the surface things that most people complain about. What really eats at me is the constant subtle things that intrude on mine and my families lives.
There are always the Halloween, Christmas, Easter, etc. parties. I wouldn't mind so much if the school actually taught a religion class where they discussed the origins and meanings of various religious holidays. But what happens is that my children get given candy and time to play in the name of a holiday that isn't even truly understood by most of the followers of that religion. I just want my children to learn, not to be bribed into a belief system with sweets.
And why do we have to have a Chaplin pray before every change of command, every mission, every run? Just because there is a group of people together, we do not have to push our religions on other people. Furthermore, if you give me a nasty look for not bowing my head, than why wasn't yours bowed to notice mine up?
As gets proven over and over again, we would all be better off if everyone kept their religions in their houses and places of worship.

No comments: