Friday, June 20, 2008

The Accidental Pumpkin and other Garden Dwellers.










We don't celebrate Halloween, but last year Miah really wanted to tackle the pumpkin carving tradition everyone else seems to enjoy so much. Unfortunately, the pumpkin she got from her school field trip didn't last very long, but it did give Miah a present this spring. About a week after I planted my tomatoes, banana pepper, and basil, I noticed a familiar leaf poking out from behind the pepper. A PUMPKIN! Too cool, right? I thought so....
Until it reached out..... and got a firm but delicate grip on Jay's rose bush!








I've since fiddled with, and trained it to climb elsewhere, but I'm worried about it's course of action.... The flowers are georgous though, and hopefully we'll have a real live pumpkin soon! Miah started planning for it already. On the way to the car this morning she was planning her attack, thinking that there will be a 200lb pumpkin. She's so cute.





The tomatoes are coming along nicely, if not a tad bit slower than usual. The problem is probably that I'm used to cherry and grape tomatoes, and this year I got Beefy, and Bush types. The fun of our garden is that it is so small due to on post restrictions that the tomatoes always come off the vine tasting like the roses that surround them. They have got to be the best I've ever eaten! I can't wait to taste the first few of the year. I really want some fried green tomatoes, but I only have three growing so far, so I'm going to leave them alone. Hopefully I'll be as lucky with these as I have been every other year, and have so many I have to start giving them away, and making pasta sauce by the gallon. Fingers crossed!







(this is the Bush plant)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>












This is my pretty little pepper plant....last years bunch were in a pot, and were so good we decided to try again, inside the rock wall this time. I'm hoping being outside the pot will encourage it to grow taller, and give us more peppers...





























As a part of Laurel's "Green Party" for her birthday, we gave out seed packets as favors, instead of candy and toys....we got too many so, just for the heck of it we planted the squash (seen here) and califlower (is only just poking it's head out) We were all shocked at how quickly they popped up! I'm going to wait a bit, and weed a few out, but hopefully will have two or three good plants. I really wasn't expecting much, because usually the squirrels and birds attack the seeds before they really get going. Guess we were extra lucky this year.




The roses this year have been acting very oddly....Jay's roses, which are usually small and few and far between were huge to begin with, and popped up two and three at a time, while usually mine are all decent sized, and pop up eight or nine at a time, but are now tiny, and almost non-existant. The few we have seen have been really nice though....






These are from my bush
and the red ones are Jay's.



That's the garden! I am counting the years until I can have a garden like we used to when I was a kid....Can't wait!

No comments: