Thursday, July 9, 2009

Thursday's Thoughts

We've been meeting here for a while now, I thought I might get a little introspective this week. Today's thought:
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. -Buddha

I've been told that one should work hard to learn something from every person one meets. As it was told to me this can either be accomplished by learning what to do or what not to do. I like to think that I try to follow this advice. I know that I do my best to ensure that people who come in contact with me have ample opportunity to gain something from me. And hopefully it's usually something positive that they come away with. I do not mean to sound so very conceited here, I understand that I am yet young and have a lot to learn, but if the advice I mentioned is to be believed we can learn even from the children in our lives. But Buddha told us to only follow words of wisdom if they ring true to ourselves. This does not leave room for life altering lessons, but I believe that this is the point. If we mean to fully change our course, or the course of another, it must be done in small movements, slow changes our reason and common sense. If we attempt any other change, it will certainly be painful and will likely not be effective anyway.

Until next week, may the lessons in your life guide you gently.

No comments: